Return to the top
Anthony (Tony) Ward
Research Interests within Engineering Education
After graduation from Bristol University I spent 18 years in Industry as an electronic design engineer, technical manager and programme manager for a number of different companies. I joined the Department of Electronics at the University of York in 1993 as an Engineering Management lecturer and have since, additionally held the positions of Provost of Alcuin College and Director of the Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning in Enterprise. I am the leader of the Engineering Management Research Group and Leader of the taught Masters in Engineering Management. I am also currently Chair of the University Health, Safety and Welfare Committee and Chair of the Department of Electronics’ Equality and Diversity Committee. On the research side I am interested in generic skill, their definition, development and measurement.
Projects I have been involved with
- I-ACE, a project creating a bi-directional multi-lingual sign language translator. I am leading a workpackage exploring when and where such a system can and should not be deployed.
- SALEIE, Project Manager of an EU funded project exploring programme governance, student support and widening participation in Engineering Programmes across Europe (€1m).
- HEFCE White Rose Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning in Enterprise (£4.5m), wrote the bid and York CETLE Director.
- Number of other EU and UK funded projects exploring aspects of Engineering Education, skills development and entrepreneurship.
Selected Research outputs
- “Is reflective writing an effective peer assessment tool for students in Higher Education?” Baruah, B., Ward, A. E., Jackson N.J., 16th International Conference on Information Technology based Higher Education and Training (ITHET). Ohrid, Macedonia, 10th – 12th July 2017.
- “The Assessment of Engineereing Student Public Speaking Ability: What, How and Issues.”, Ward A.E., Jackson N.J., Baruah, B. International Conference on Engineering Education and research (iCEER2016), Sydney, Australia, 21st – 24th November 2016
- ‘X’trapreneurship- a holistic approach to bring clarity in entrepreneurial research, Baruah, B, Ward, AE, Voice of Research, Vol. 4 Issue 1, June 2015, ISSN 2277-7733, pp 65-72.
I am a Chartered Electrical Engineer and have been Chairman of IEE (now IET) Yorkshire and was President of the European Association for Education in Electrical and Information Engineering (EAEEIE) for 6 years. I am the founder and Chairman of Skillsforge Ltd. A spinout company from the University of York.