UK & IE EER Network’s 6th Annual Symposium – Call for submissions.
Date(s) - 01/11/2018 - 02/11/2018
University of Porstmouth
Call for proposals
Realising Engineering Ambitions: The role of Engineering Education Research?
Following on from the success of our 5th Annual Symposium held in November 2017 at the Royal Academy of Engineering in London, the UK and Ireland Engineering Education Research (EER) Network in association with the Royal Academy of Engineering invite your contributions to the 6th Annual Symposium on engineering education research, which will be held on the 1st and 2nd November 2018 at the University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth.
- Prof. Brian Bowe, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin.
- Title of talk: “Establishing and Growing an Engineering Education Research Group”
- (For a full list of keynote speakers: watch the space)
Themes and sub-themes
Abstracts for paper or poster presentations are invited with regards to all areas of EER but particularly on the following themes and sub-themes:
- Innovations in Engineering Education
- Research conducted which relates to the design and evaluation of Degree Apprenticeships and other pedagogically innovative engineering programmes.
- Issues of Practice: Research focusing on supporting differently abled students within higher engineering education.
- Researching the role of technology within Engineering Education
- Researching the role of students as partners in Engineering Education.
- Work based training, employability and graduate skills
- Research on issues in developing future engineering graduate skills and realising graduate employability opportunities.
- Issues of Practice: Research, which looks at Supporting Industry and Work-based training.
- Researching ethical issues in Engineering (Role of AI in Industry 4.0 and beyond).
- Staff and Researcher Development
- Evaluating staff and researcher development within EER.
- Outreach and pipeline qualifications
- Evaluating “Engineering Education Outreach”: Research and discussion papers about how we can better (more scientifically) evaluate the value of outreach.
- Any other relevant research and evaluation studies.
- Including theoretical papers, data analytics, intelligent tutors, student progression and transition etc.
- We particularly welcome entries from new researchers doing a PhD in this area.
Note: As of last year, the findings will be published in a Peer Reviewed document which will have an ISBN and be made available on our website (which is hosted by the RAEng) and through the ‘information commons’.
Workshops or training sessions
In addition to invited contributions we are accepting proposals for workshops or training sessions aimed at those new to research within the general area of engineering education research.
We are particularly interested in workshop or training proposals related to:
- Research methodologies
- Engineering Education Research Theory
- Qualitative vs. Quantitative Research
- Getting published: Where and how to publish?
- Academic writing
- The PhD journey
Note: If selected we will pay a token fee of £100 for your efforts. Due to limited funds, if you are able to deliver a session without needing this payment please indicate so in your submission.
Awards and Recognition
We are thankful to our sponsors for the following awards, which are open to all our paper presenters:
- Most innovative Engineering Education research project.
- Most innovative technology use in Engineering Education research project.
- Best full paper award.
- Best presentation by a new researcher award.
The winner will receive £100 in vouchers and a certificate for this achievement.
Please submit your proposal (see Structured Abstract guidance sheet) to the following web form:
Alternatively, if you prefer, email a word copy (see Structured Abstract guidance sheet) to:
7th Sep 2018. Extended till 14th 17th Sep 2018.
Notification of acceptance / amendments required:
17th Sep 2018. 21st 24th Sep 2018 (for new deadline)
Final submission: 8th Oct 2018.
Confirmation of acceptance: 15th Oct 2018.
Presentation Slides: 26th Oct 2018.
Sponsor and delegate queries, please contact the organiser on: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to know more about the UK & Ireland Engineering Education Research Network please contact Dr Jane Andrews: email@example.com
Our LinkedIn group page: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13582498
The proceedings of the 5th annual symposium are available on-line at; https://hefocus.raeng.org.uk/network-events/
University of Portsmouth, Dennis Sciama Building Burnaby Road, Portsmouth, PO1 3FX. United Kingdom
Rail – direct trains from London Waterloo, London Victoria, Cardiff Central, Bristol TM, Brighton and Gatwick and Southampton parkway airports.
Flights– FlyBe, Air France and others from Amsterdam, Belfast, Cork, Dublin, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Edinburgh Glasgow to Southampton Parkway Airport, which is 25 mins by taxi to the city centre. Trains available but please check journey timings (fast/slow).